Tuesday, January 29, 2008

transmission



On Sunday night I flew solo over to Cinematheque to see the film Control about the band Joy Division (whom I love). I realized 2 things:

1. That I was not, in fact, flying genuinely solo because I knew more than 10 people there. I'm not kidding, the small theater was completely filled and they had to turn people away (it was the last night of three nights of showings of the movie).

2. That I should have expected it to be as depressing as it ended up being. I knew that Ian Curtis committed suicide but actually seeing a movie about the rise of Joy Division and Curtis's life made it all the more captivating and just dismal. Please please please don't let that discourage you from seeing it or wanting to see it because it was incredibly beautiful. The acting by Sam Riley as Ian Curtis and Samantha Morton as his young wife was phenomenal and refreshingly funny at times. Even if I wasn't a Joy Division fan I would see it. It's shot in black and white and the general look of it is so appropriate. It's not showing anymore in Winnipeg at the moment but seriously, keep your eye out for it.

To get you in the mood, here's one of my favourite Joy Division songs:
Joy Division - Disorder

No comments: